French
Sunday, August 19, 2007
I linked Meng Shi to my blog a while ago, and he commented that my French was very good. LOL. It's very very VERY basic, self-taught French. But, that comment set me thinking. Maybe you people wouldn't know why I like the French language so much, or why I am dead set in at least taking the introductory French course in NTU next year.
Well, I believe it started with The Parents Trap (a classic and still a favourite movie of mine). In that movie, one of the characters were speaking in French over the phone. Even though it was only for a few seconds, that scene mesmerized me. It had me hooked on this beautiful-sounding language. I just love the way the words rolled out so smoothly. From then on, I aimed to master the language so I can speak it fluently.
It is a personal goal of mine for a very long time. I have even bought an Idiot's Guide to Learning French to teach myself the language (Those very basic French you read in this blog, I learned it from this book. :P). However, due to the lack of vocabulary and practice, this project fell short. I believe I am still stuck at Chapter 3, after the basic French pronunciation and grammar (I am still stuck on the pronoun "I" and its verbs.. haha!).
Then, I tried to go for French classes at Alliance Française, but their lessons were too expensive. So, I believe the next best thing would be to learn French in my university. I am determined to do so. In fact, I might just learn all the way into French 3 and take DELF (Diplôme d'études en langue française). Then, I would fulfill my lifelong dream, and also, have a major advantage when I want to migrate to Canada. Killing two birds with one stone. Sounds like a good plan, oui? :D