UniSIM Work Review: Part I
Sunday, June 29, 2008
UniSIM Work Review: Part II worked at UniSIM's Exam Administration Department (EA, for short) from 7th May to 27th June 2008.
During the 2-months that I was there, I did many many things. I re-did the exam seating plans for the Grand Hall. I sorted scripts and gave them out to markers. I became a part-time loan-shark and nightmares to markers and monitors. I checked lots and lots of scores (before and after moderation). I did a lot of other small things for my supervisors. I processed appeals. Basically, I can say that I was involved in the whole process, from pre-exam to post-exam.
In retrospect, I am very very glad that I landed this job. It really opened my eyes to the examination process, and it gives me a very in-depth view of what actually goes on behind the scenes. I certainly learned a lot from this job. I don't know whether NTU adopts the same processes, but I dare say that it should be within the same area. I now know what to do, and what not to (like, don't ever appeal. Waste of my bloody money). :) (See, I can make everything into a learning process, and that's what I am proud of. I get to learn something in everything I do.)
This job has also introduced me to a good friend: coffee. Yes, that's right. The coffee-hater has become a convert. Okay la. I don't really love it, but I don't shun it now. There was a period of time of two weeks where I practically did OT everyday till 10pm+, then coming to work at 8 the next day. I realized I really needed the caffeine boost to keep myself awake during work, so I forced myself to drink a cup of coffee every morning. It really helps you know. Once I got over the initial bitterness, it's not so bad after all. =)
In this job, I have seen a lot of things. I have seen perm staff come and go. I have seen my own temp colleagues increase from 3 to 5 to 10. In the end, I am proud to say that we are one big happy family! =D We have been though thick and thin, we have been through happy and stressful times together. Like what Anson said, "Temp job, but not temp friendship".
Hmm... After so much was being said about my work, I think it's time to take you through the journey of my life for two months. Let me take you on a trip of how the daily life of a typical EA Temp goes.

Every morning, as we make our way to our room, we are greeted by our lovely whiteboard! (Don't worry, you will get to put pictures on those names pretty soon!) However, as cheerful as our whiteboard is, we will soon have to face the horror that is....

The thousands and thousands of scripts that await us to tally marks, sort, bring out for monitoring and moderation.... Probably burning all these scripts can power the UniSIM Level 2 office for about... half a day? =p

This is our messy messy work desk where we tally the horrendous amount of scripts that keep pouring in day after day after day.... On the desk, you will be able to find our best friends: green pens, calculators, snacks, drinks and of course, scripts. Oh! What will we do without you guys, our trusty tools?

After slogging for a whole morning, it's time for lunch break! Look how happy we are at the prospect of eating! (Except, not really for some of us. Guilty as charged... =p) After our one-hour lunch break outta the office, it's time to hit the scripts once again (and the computer screen for me)...

Finally! It's 5.30pm! It's the end of one working day! If we don't have OT, we would be taking the staff bus to the MRT stations most convenient for us. This is the group of us who would take the West Bus to Clementi and Jurong East. This is where we say our goodbyes for the day, and "see ya tomorrow!"s with cheery smiles. =)
Okay... We have reached the end of Part I of the After-Work Review. (I decided to split the whole thing into 2 posts, or else it will get really really long.) Stay tuned for Part II, where I will introduce everyone who made my life better for these 2 months.
To be continued...