Star Awards 09 Nominations
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
The nomination list for Star Awards 2009 is out, and you can look at the list here.

I officially announce that this is an atrocity. With TLN garnering at least 2 nominations in each of the major acting categories, and with 5 out of 6 in Best Supporting Actress, how can anyone win?

I understand that this is MediaCorp trying to push TLN, that's why Star Awards was delayed until so late. If TLN were to be nominated in Dec 09 Star Awards, it would have been faded away into the back of people's mind.

But the problem is, there are a lot of good shows in 2008, and they are so much better than TLN.

For Best Actress, Chen LiPing should be winning for either 一房半厅一水缸 or for 黄金路, and this is the first time an actress is nominated twice for Best Actress. But alas, this is not her year. The Best Actress trophy has Jeanette Aw's name stamped all over it.

For Best Actor, any of the nominees except for YuWu and Pierre could stand equal chances of winning. I like all of them, and I think they are great in what they do, especially Huang WenYong in 一房半厅一水缸 (it's long overdue that he gets recognized for his acting abilities). But alas. It is not to be. It's either Qi YuWu or Pierre Png's for the taking.

However, for Best Supporting Actors and Actress, I have no qualms giving it to the nominees of TLN. Zzen was great as Charlie Zhang, and as I said before, MeiJiao should totally take the award for GuiHua.

What's even more maddening is that for the Best Drama trophy, TLN's name is stamped all over it. There are way way much better shows than TLN, like 一房半厅一水缸, 黄金路 and my 一切前完美. My Perfect Cut! I am surprised to see it nominated, but I am so glad it did. Its storyline is WAY WAY BETTER than TLN. It didn't resort to rape/houses burning down/adoption of some kid/someone going crazy to draw in the viewers or to have a good storyline. Its touching and meaningful plot surpassed it over TLN. And I am damn angry that it cannot win against TLN.

Basically, this is not anyone's year except for the cast of TLN. No matter how good they acted in their roles, this is not their year.

Seriously, Star Awards 09 is gonna be predictable. It just depends WHICH TLN cast wins. Like, seriously.

Damn imba.
7:40 PM