2 Days To Friday
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
I like FM933's 就是万人迷. I will try to listen to it whenever I could. I always like how Cruz 丁志勇 countdowns the days to Friday, as if reminding us that we have to suffer x days more till the weekend comes! =D They do live by the motto, "TGIF"!So, today was no exception. Today, Cruz announced, "今天是星期三!2 days to Friday!!!" Normally, I would smile and nod my head, appreciating his cheery voice telling us that the end of the work-week is near, and we can look forward to our relaxing weekends.
But, today, I actually got reminded of something. My brother, and the rest of his would-be army friends, would probably groan at Cruz's very cheerful announcement. He will be starting his NS journey 2 days later.
As his older brother who has totally been-there-done-that, I can sympathize. Yet, I cannot deny that there is a sense of excitement... No. Wait. Not excitement, but 盼望. True. He will go through shit for two years. But, I believe NS does make a man out of a boy.
No matter how much we truly hate NS (I would have graduated with a degree by now if not for NS!!!!), I do have to admit that it works. It forces a boy to experience so much toughness that he'll grow and learn out of it.
He'll be tekaned until very jialat. He will do so much rubbish work. He will go through miles and miles of route-march. He will experience so much bureaucracy and army politics and stuff. However, he will make new friends (and probably some that will become his close friends after his NS experience). He will learn how to work through all the politics and become a good soldier (hopefully). Most importantly, he will take away valuable lessons from his army experience, and use those to serve him well in the working world after he ORD-ed.
It is what you go through, and the stuff you learn, that will make you a better man.
And I will be at Kranji Camp II to send him off to his journey. Take care, little brother. =)