A Suitable Boy : Review
Wednesday, June 3, 2009
I have finished the monumental task of reading A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth, and here are my thoughts on this book.

This is a story set in the 1950s in India, about an Indian mother (Mrs Rupa Mehra) trying to find "a suitable boy" for her daughter, Lata.

This book is more than just a story of a determined mother finding the "Ideal Marriage" for her daughter. It also integrates the stories of 3 other families. However, they are not just disparate subplots. These stories are beautifully woven into the the central theme, forming an intricate web of supporting stories that culminate into the ending.

It took me quite a while to get the hang of the background and situation (with A LOT of cross referencing to the family trees so thoughtfully provided at the front of the book). But once I got a general feel of the storyline, I became immersed into the rich Indian, Muslim and national cultures of 1950s India.

This book is an amazing read. However, do be forewarned that being 1474 pages long, it is certainly not for the faint-hearted or people possessing short attention-spans. This book needs your dedicated attention, and I think after reading a few chapters, you will be drawn into its world and unwilling to let go until the very end.

Let me share some interesting experiences while reading this book. I was reading this while doing my job for the past week (I was waiting for markers to collect/return their scripts at a counter. Given the (non)arrival-rate of these markers, I would have died of boredom if not for this book). Several markers commented on the thickness of my book, and some read the premise on the back cover. One marker, a Chinese lady, commented that she cannot appreciate a book that is not set in her era. Meanwhile, another marker, an Indian man, said that the book sounds very interesting. Two different perspectives, brought about by two different types of people. Very very interesting. =)
9:10 PM