Half Blood Prince: Movie Review
Thursday, July 23, 2009
I just came back from watching Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.This movie told the audience, essentially, what Book 6 wanted to convey to the audience. That, I suppose, is a job well done.
The movie did not deviate too much from the book, unlike some of the earlier movies. Of course there were deviations, but after watching 6 HP movies, one does have to take such things into strides, and console oneself that the books are always better. =)
But one thing I didn't quite like about the movie was that Dumbledore in the movie lacks subtlety. In the book, he was more of a guiding force to Harry, showing him pathways and memories and letting Harry understand himself what he needs to do. However, movie!Dumbledore was like telling Harry rather obviously, "I want you to do this/that."
Actually, I understand why this was shown in this manner. In a movie of this limited time frame, there was really no time for subtlety; and things have to be rather obvious to speed things along. Oh well. Personal preferences, I guess.
Non-fans might find this movie boring. Certainly, it is not as action-packed as the first five movies. It's a given though, because HPB is sort of like laying out the foundations, the back-story for The Deathly Hallows. It is essentially to tell Harry why certain things happen, and gives Harry an in-depth view into Voldemort's character (of course, those were more fully fleshed out in the book, although, like I said, the movie showed the essentials). The actions start to happen in Book 7, and for one, I am glad they split it into two movies. This will give them more time and space to fully flesh out the characters and scenes. =D
One special mention I must make is the character of Bellatrix Lestrange, played by the wondrous Helena Bonham Carter. I have always been a fan of Helena's works, and once again, she didn't disappoint as Bellatrix. She really bought the character to life, and it was thrilling to see that evil insane witch brought to life by the skilled actress. I cannot wait for her grand show-down in the finale. It's bound to be thrilling! =D
So, overall, 4/5 meows for a job well done. =)