Reading
Thursday, January 6, 2011
You know, it has been very long since I have picked up a novel to read. I mean, seriously. In 2010, I have been so busy with reading textbooks and journal articles every week (at home, in the journeys to and from school) that I didn't even think of borrowing books from the library.

That's a very stark revelation, especially to someone who really loves to read. So, last week, I went down to the National Library en route to my HRYF meeting to borrow some novels.

I borrowed Terry Pratchett's Making Money and Andrea Levy's The Long Song, and have finally completed the two books yesterday.

I have been a fan of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, and Making Money doesn't disappoint. I enjoy reading the escapades of Moist von Lipwig, and the clever machinations of Lord Vetrini, Patrician and Tyrant of Ankh-Morpork.

Andrea Levy's The Long Song chronicles the tail-end of slavery period in Jamaica, through the eyes of a slave named July. It was actually on the short list for the Man Booker Prize 2010. It's a very good read. I was taken into a journey of rebellion, of love and passion and of gains and losses. I enjoyed the ride, and I hope you will too.

It is indeed very lovely to get back to reading again. :)
5:53 PM