The Perfect Man
Saturday, April 9, 2011
Just now, I watched 单身男女 with Joyce, HuiMin and James. After watching this movie, I am enticed to blog about this special topic.The movie basically is about a woman choosing between 2 men: the incorrigible playboy but very-romantic-by-pulling-all-the-stops-kind (like buying a house, a car...) and the nice, sweet, 痴情别恋 Mr Perfect who waits patiently for his girl.
I won't spoil the ending for those who want to watch the movie. I will let you sit through the 2-hours movie, and make you guess till the very last minute. It's more fun that way. =p
If I was in her position, I would choose Mr Perfect. Ultimately, he's a dependable guy, someone whom you can safely put your future in his hands. Not to mention, he's very romantic too.
But the thing is, he is too perfect. And so is the incorrigible playboy. Both guys are the type of men that all the girls wish to have chasing them (yes, even the playboy. Who wouldn't want to be pampered with romantic, loud declarations of love? And having a house and car thrown in is not bad too!). They are the knights in shining armor. They represent every girl's happily-ever-after.
Which makes the story very discordant from reality. Because we all know that there is no such thing as a knight in shining armor at the end of the day. There's no rich guy throwing cars in our faces. There's no architect building a skyscraper because he is inspired by our silhouettes. Unless we are damn lucky.
At the end of the day, there's our partner that we chose. Who will stick by us, loving us for our beauties and even faults. Who will get angry at us at one point or another. Who will scream at us. And who will still love us at the end of the day. And they will be nowhere near the two Mr Perfects in the movie, in terms of looks, status and characters.
And likewise, we will love our partners for who they are. Their faults and all.
Watching movies allows us to escape from reality, and put ourselves in happily-ever-after narratives. At the end, we must snap ourselves away from the fantasies, and appreciate what is really around us. That's the most important.