My First Vote
Saturday, August 27, 2011
Having not voted in the GE elections (because I was in Nice, France, which was really nice), this Presidential Election will be my first.
Honestly, I haven't been keeping up with PE news. The first big reason was work. I have been working tirelessly for the past 2 weeks, and missed most of the big hoo-haa.
Secondly, honestly, the president is largely a ceremonial figurehead. Do I really need to spend so much of my energy to care, especially when Facebook is strangely quiet about this whole thing. I don't see any interesting notes or articles about the President, unlike the GE period.
So, who am I voting for? Even though I haven't been keeping up with the news, I do have some sort of a basic idea who the 4 candidates are, based on my colleagues' comments and general observations. So, I have shortlisted 2 candidates.
I am definitely not voting for Tony Tan, because seriously, it's just like voting another PAP yes-man back into power, and let's just say that I think Singapore would be a better place without PAP. I am not voting for Tan Kin Lian, because he's too far-fetched already. I mean, $1500 for NSFs is nice and all, but it seems too populist and impractical, and I question his ability to "safeguard national reserves". I survived with less than $500 per month during my NS days, therefore, so can the incoming NSFs.
It is either Tan Cheng Bok or Tan Jee Say. Should I vote for a moderate, or vote for a voice against the PAP? Decisions, decisions, decisions.... Looks like I gotta read more before going down to the voting booth later.
Why is my voting booth so different from my parents and brother? Issit because I never voted in the GE and just got my name reinstated? So weird....